As you all know, Internet is growing at lightning speed. The information stored on the net is Humongous. Every second millions of bytes are added all over the world. The immense data and knowledge on the net is growing at a mind-blowing rate and even estimates are proven wrong every second.
Have you ever wondered, 'How big is Internet? How many websites are there on the Net? Total size of the data accessible on the Web?'. Come let us take a tour to find out just how mammoth this Virtual Universe i.e Internet is?
Total Number of Websites on the Web
The total number of websites on the web can be measured in different ways. Some are Live, many are Dead websites. Everyday new websites come Live and some websites die due to many reasons. Even if a website survives for 6 months, there is no guarantee it will exist for a full 365 days!. Only handful of websites survive on the net. Below are the numbers relating to Websites -
- 759 Million - Total number of websites on the Web
- 510 Million - Total number of Live websites (active).
- 103 Million - Websites added during the year i.e 2013
- 43% of the top 1 million websites are hosted in USA itself.
- 48% of the top 100 blogs/websites run on powerful WordPress.
- 23% - Increase in the average page size of a website.
- 13% - Decrease in the average page-load time.
The above Increase and Decrease in the average pages-size and page-load time are due to betterment of Internet. There has been an incredible shift from 'Content only' sites to 'Content + User-Friendly' sites. So, to aid easier navigation and user-friendly, more and more websites are becoming responsive. In 2013 itself, 38% of the live websites had responsive design.
Total number of Domains registered
Every page on the Internet is hosted under a Domain name. For Eg: FactsHunt.com, Google.com etc. . . The extensions are of many types. There are nearly 350+ extensions ranging from Top Level Domains (TLD's) to Country level domains (ccTLD's). Most popular extensions are : .Com, .Net, .Gov, .Edu, .Net etc. . .
While some domains are bought to run a website, many are bought to resell them at a higher price and for some it is the primary source of Income. These Domains are often parked until it is bought under auction or a good deal.
- 132.21 Million - Domains with '.Com' extension.
- 328 Million - Registered Domains in the year i.e 2013.
- 313.44 Million - Top Level Domains on the Net (.com, .org, .net, .gov etc.)
- 1193 Million - Total number of registered Domains on the net (TLD's, ccTLD's etc.)
- 35.24% - Market share of 'GoDaddy.com', the Largest Domain registrar on the Planet.
Size of the Internet as of 31st Dec 2013
Coming to the Size of the Internet, its 'Huge'. As of 31st December 2013, the size of data available on the net has grown exponentially from 1993. Some say the size of the Internet seems to have crossed
"The total number of words spoken by entire human race so far!"
which is stored in a text format. (.txt extension). While many others still lost in their thoughts of estimating the true size. So, let us see how BIG is the Internet?
- 14.3 Trillion - Webpages, live on the Internet.
- 48 Billion - Webpages indexed by Google.Inc.
- 14 Billion - Webpages indexed by Microsoft's Bing.
- 672 Exabytes - 672,000,000,000 Gigabytes (GB) of accessible data.
- 43,639 Petabytes - Total World-wide Internet Traffic in the year 2013.
- Over 9,00,000 Servers - Owned by Google.Inc, the Largest in the world.
- Over 1 Yotta-byte - Total data stored on the Internet (Includes almost everything).
1 Yotta-byte = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Bytes!
Even by under-estimation, the total data stored on the Internet including Images, Videos, Audio etc.. has crossed 1 Yotta-byte. The true size of the Internet will never be known! Don't forget to read :
Global Internet Usage Facts and Statistics of 2013